Saturday, March 23, 2019

filming part 3

We have officially finished filming! Here is the final blooper reel
Today went incredible with filming and we were able to get all the final shots that we needed. Reflecting back on my last post, I really thought about anything else that I could add to these trailers that might have been missing that I didn't think about, and then it dawned on me. I came up with the idea of adding in a new Deaf character. recently in my ASL class we were discussing the different levels (and sometimes extremes) Deaf pride can get in playing a role in some deaf people's actual personality and character traits; I decided to not only show how this character may be trying to adapt to the hearing world in a main streamed school but also how that effects him personally and how that effects how other deaf people view him. I started to run with the idea that yes although I want this character to have hearing parents I would still want him somewhat connected with the deaf community having friends and having a sense of pride with the culture and meaning of being Deaf. With that being said I wanted to show that maybe along the way Christopher struggles to really fit anywhere because he is left ostracized by some of his Deaf friends who believe hearing people would and could never understand them, or something of the sort. Now with this being said I understand it is quite late in the game to try and find a whole new actor that would actually know how to sign, but I decided maybe it was best if I just acted. It seems like the most logical answer due to it being lat minute but also because I already know how to sign so it wouldn't add the extra struggle of teaching someone new a brand new language, so for two scenes I placed the camera on a tripod and acted. I also decided to name my character Marlee, mainly after the extremely talented (and quite frankly only) widely recognized female deaf actress. Also talking to the other actors, they decided that since Owen's character didn't have a name, they would call him Benjamin, which I think fit nicely so I have decided to keep it that way. Finally when delving more into when I was brain storming about the deaf society impact, I decided that I wanted to change the name to Pride. I think it is much more befitting and honestly less insulting/cheesy as the name Listen. I think it truly reflects what I would want this film to reflect, which is more depth to the story and seriousness to the representation. I decided to work on some more art for Dylan to "draw/paint" for the film and created a drawing that I think would work nicely for the title graphic/text for the movie trailer and poster, but I will show you all that on another post to be able to dive more into it.
That's a Rapp on this post till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment