Saturday, March 2, 2019

First Discussion

   Howdy everyone, I have been developing my plot further now that I have established my main character. I have also been talking more to my ASL teacher, Mrs.Russo, to work with her more on making the story realistic with her knowledge on the deaf community but also on how to strategize the advertising and actual casting for the main character.
   Along with that in my AICE Media class yesterday, we were all broken up into groups to discuss our projects and how far we have gotten. It was a great experience to help others but also it helped me in trying to in a sense pitch my idea to my target audience of teenagers. When discussing my idea with the group they at first were confused feeling as though I wanted to make more of a documentary on a deaf kid but then I tried reexplaining what my idea is as more of the comedy-drama it is. Once I had done that they recommended I watched the movie Wonder because they said it reminded them a lot of the movie but just with a deaf character.
    I ended up not being able to watch the movie Wonder till two hours ago quite frankly, which is what made me realize I might need to start making a huge shift in my way of explaining this film. Although I absolutely loved the film and now can't wait to find the a copy of the book to read myself, it showed me that I was completely sending the wrong message to people about my movie. Yes of course I know I have been stressing the importance of representation of the deaf community and wanting to own his deafness, I don't want that to be the main or only focus of this film. When they compared my film to Wonder I realized that they were seeing it as more of a feel good movie of in a sense overcoming differences but that's not necessarily the case I want to make with my film. I want my character to own his deafness but I want it to be so much more than that, more than anything I just want it to feel like a typical high school movie but from the point of view of a deaf boy. In a sense I want the story to be similar more than anything to the movie The Edge Of Seventeen, where it is a normal teenage story of self discovery just with the additional representation and challenges of being a deaf teenager. I'm going to start trying to approach my pitching methods slightly differently now just to make sure I get the proper message across, hopefully I can now finish a solid plot line and story board for my movie trailers and film.
That's a Rapp on this post, till next time!

Source:
“Wonder.” IMDb, IMDb.com, 16 Nov. 2017, www.imdb.com/title/tt2543472/. 
“Comedy-Drama.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 4 Jan. 2019, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy-drama. 
   Picture:
   “Wonder Movie Poster (#1 of 16).” IMP Awards - All the Latest Movie Posters, www.impawards.com/2017/wonder.html.
   “The Edge of Seventeen Movie Poster Limited Print Photo Hailee Steinfeld Woody Harrelson Size 11x17 #1.” Amazon, Amazon, www.amazon.com/Seventeen-Poster-Limited-Steinfeld-Harrelson/dp/B01N2HXM02.

No comments:

Post a Comment