Friday, March 15, 2019

finally found actors

   Finally got some great news! I was able to rally together some friends of mine that are willing to act for the film. But that also comes with its own separate set of challenges.
Owen Anderson (17 y/o) = Bully
Mariana  Acosta (18 y/o) = Emma
Dean Milan (16 y/o) = James
Dylan Bukstel (17 y/o) = Christopher

   First and foremost I wanna give a little bit of a background on each person.
   To start off let me introduce you all to Dylan Bukstel, who will be playing Christopher. Dylan is a student in CBTV along with me who does not know sign language but personality wise is willing to learn knew things and adapts quickly. Along with that Dylan also in a sense already has quite the independent teenage boy personality so I think he ended up being a perfect match.
   Now introducing our only female actress, Mariana Acosta, who will be playing Emma. Mariana is my best friend and I have actually been running my ideas back and forth with her throughout my entire planing process to get her honest feedback; I felt it was more than perfect to have her play a character in the film since she has been with me throughout this entire process. Mariana also does not know any sign language but due to her character being a hearing person anyway it seems to pose no problems, seeing that I will be having her sign little to nothing at all.
    The last of our trio of main actors will be, Dean Milan, who is playing James. In all honesty Dean does not really match the character of goofy/comedic best friend but Dean is a valuable actor. Dean is the only one on the crew besides myself that knows ASL. This plays perfectly with him playing James because in a sense James is Christopher's connection to the hearing world, with that being said since Dean already knows ASL I will not have to teach him how to sign all of his signs but also he would be able to work on the more difficult task of signing while also speaking. I understand there may be some confusion as to why I chose Dean instead of Dylan to play James rather than Christopher because well shouldn't your best/only signer be playing the character that is deaf? The situation there is that actually it is quite difficult to sign and speak, being quite frank as a beginner it would be extremely difficult to try signing while speaking. The best way to describe it is imagine it like dancing and signing at the same time, not all artists can do so but for the ones that can, it has taken them years of practice; in this sense it is the same for sign language, because Dean has the previous years of practice in sign language he can adapt to adding speak much more quickly than Dylan would be able to.
    Before I forget I also was able to have my friend Owen Anderson tag along to play as a side character. As you may have seen I decided when story boarding that it would be important/interesting to add the challenge of bullying into the movie trailer to show some more depth to discrimination of deaf and to highlight that in the film. Owen agreed to act as a nameless bully for a few scenes.
    So far that is all the characters/actors I have, because I was only able to get them to all agree quite later on, we will be currently only filming on March 17, Sunday rather than the entire weekend.
That's a Rapp on this post, till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment